Spring is all about nature’s revival, but also about unpredictable weather. We all know that thunderstorms can be dangerous, but when mixed with snow thaw, the possibility of severe home flooding increases. Here are essential tips to prepare a home for spring thaw and prevent water damage:
- Removing the snow around the house – As a result, thawed snow will drain away from the home. Homeowners should also remove obstructions or debris that could prevent water from being carried away from the house.
- Inspecting the home’s drainage – This ensures that flood drains outside the house and the floor drains inside the home are not obstructed by debris. Roof drains should also be open and flow freely.
- Maintaining the gutters and downspouts – As backed up gutters and downspouts are likely to cause overflows and flooding, the ducts must be kept clean and undamaged so water can freely move away from the home.
- Inspecting the roof for damage – By doing this task, the roof is prepared to keep water out of the house during powerful storms. If the roof still has snow on it, here are tips to safely remove snow from roofs.
- Installing water alarm and flood sensors is important in homes that are prone to flooding. These devices are designed to send an alert when they detect unwanted water in the home.
- Elevating items in the basement – Sensitive items, such as documents or electronics, should be relocated to the upper levels of the home. If some items can’t be removed from the basement, they should be put on shelves or pallets.
- Installing a sump pump in the basement. Sump pumps protect the basement from flooding by removing excess water around the home’s foundation, transporting it safely outside. If a sump pump is already in place, it needs regular maintenance. The sump pump should also be tested to ensure it’s in proper condition.
- Getting flood insurance – Most homeowners’ policies do not cover flood damage so it’s important to purchase this protection separately. Homeowners should get flood insurance fast, as it only becomes effective 30 days after the date of purchase.
While spring thaw is a major cause for home flooding, keeping a home safe from water damage is a year-round task. Here are more tips to prevent home flooding and how to prevent basement flooding. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.