What’s that peculiar smell? Nothing disrupts your home’s cozy tranquillity like the discovery of a deceased mouse. The intruder can leave behind foul odors that can quickly spread throughout your living space. Addressing the smelly situation as soon as possible is key when it happens. Removing the dead mouse smell and deodorizing the affected area will not only rid your home of the unpleasant scent but also prevent potential health hazards. With the proper care and attention, you can restore your home’s freshness. Keep reading for a step-by-step guide on how to get rid of dead mouse smell.
How to Get Rid of Dead Mouse Smell: The Process
Locate and Remove the Dead Mouse
The initial sight of a dead mouse on your premises can be shocking! However, the longer you wait to take action, the worse the smell can proliferate. The first step is to locate the source of the odour, which can often be detected by following your nose. Mice are sneaky creatures and scurry inside walls, under furniture, in crawl spaces, in air ducts, or near food sources. When handling the dead body, use protective gear like rubber gloves and carefully remove it from the area. Seal it in a plastic bag and dispose of it properly to avoid spreading bacteria or odour.
Clean the Area Thoroughly
Removing the dead carcass is only half the battle! After you’ve discarded it, be sure to clean the affected area thoroughly. Use warm water and a mild detergent, paying particular attention to the spot where you found the mouse. Scrub the surfaces well to remove bodily fluids, stains, or residue, which can cause a lingering odour. Additionally, you can also try the following cleaning agents and air freshers:
- Baking Soda. You might already have a box in your kitchen pantry! It’s a fantastic natural deodorizer that can help absorb the unpleasant dead mouse smell. Liberally sprinkle it over the area to cover the affected zone. Allow it to sit for a few hours or overnight, giving it ample time to absorb the odour. Later, clean or vacuum the baking soda to remove it along with the absorbed odour.
- Activated Charcoal. Charcoals aren’t just for the grill! Activated charcoal is known for its exceptional ability to absorb and neutralize odours. Place a few in shallow bowls or dishes near the affected area. The porous structure of charcoal helps it absorb foul smells effectively. Periodically change the charcoal to maintain its odour-absorbing properties.
- Vinegar Solution. It’s a versatile household item that can neutralize odours. Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Use this solution to spray and wipe down the affected spot. The vinegar will help eliminate the pungent smell and disinfect the area, making it fresher.
- Essential Oils. Essential oils are natural remedies that can effectively mask dead animal odours. Choose oils with aromatic scents like peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, or lemon. Place a few drops on cotton balls and strategically position them around the room. The oils will disperse a pleasant aroma, which will counteract the lingering dead rodent smell.
Air Out the Space
Open your windows to let the fresh air in! Circulating the air in your home can help significantly. Despite your best efforts, removing the lingering smell takes some outside air. Letting the air in eliminates the stagnant odours, creating a more breathable and pleasant atmosphere. It’s a simple solution that can make a world of difference! Alternatively, if you have an air purifier, place it near the area to expedite the clean air.
Professional Odour Removal
Tried every possible method to eliminate the rancid smell? It’s time to consider enlisting professional odour-removal specialists. These professionals have access to specialized equipment and techniques that effectively tackle stubborn odours. They can provide a thorough and lasting solution to eliminate the unpleasant smell.
How You Can Prevent Future Mice Infestations
Make this instance your only instance when it comes to dealing with dead mice odours! Take the following precautions to avoid a similar problem in the future.
- Seal entry points into your home to prevent mice from entering.
- Keep your living space clean and free of food crumbs and clutter.
- Utilize traps or repellents to deter mice and rodents from taking up residence in your home.
Dead mouse smells can be challenging, but with the right approach and a few natural remedies, your home can go from foul to fragrant! While returning to a fresh and pleasant living environment, remember to take preventive measures to ensure a rodent-free home. If the problem persists, don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance for a comprehensive and long-lasting solution.
Frustrated by Property Damage? Give PuroClean a Ring!
When your property is damaged, it can be an overwhelming and stressful experience. Whether it’s from a burst pipe, a fire, or a natural disaster, you need a trusted team to help you get back on your feet. Look no further than PuroClean! Our highly trained professionals are available 24/7 to handle all your property damage needs. From water restoration to mould remediation, we use the latest technology to efficiently and effectively restore your property. We understand the importance of a quick response time and prioritize getting to you as soon as possible. Don’t let property damage bring you down; call us today at (877) 261-7876.