The PuroClean BlogCONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE
Being the most widespread natural disasters, floods cause billions of dollars’ worth of damage each year. Since floods can damage any property in almost any area, it is important to learn about the various types of floods and how they can affect properties.
1. Flash floods are fast-moving waters that sweep everything in their path. They are caused by heavy rainfall or rapid snow thaw. Floods usually cover a relatively small area and occur with little to no notice, generally less than six hours. The rapid water torrents can move large objects such as cars, rocks, and trees.
2. Coastal floods are caused by strong winds or storms that move towards a coast during high tide. When powerful waves breach the coast’s dune or dike, the area is usually flooded. Coastal areas with fewer defenses and lower elevation are the most affected. The best time to repair the breach is during low tide.
3. River floods are characterized by gradual riverbank overflows caused by extensive rainfall over an extended period of time. The areas covered by river floods depend on the size of the river and the amount of rainfall. River floods rarely result in loss of lives but can cause immense economic damage.
4. Urban floods occur when the drainage system in a city or town fails to absorb the water from heavy rain. The lack of natural drainage in an urban area can also contribute to flooding. Water flows out into the street, making driving very dangerous. Although water levels can be just a few inches deep, urban floods can cause significant structural damage.
5. Pluvial floods form in flat areas where the terrain can’t absorb the rainwater, causing puddles and ponds to appear. Pluvial flooding is similar to urban flooding, but it occurs mostly in rural areas. The agricultural activities and properties in areas where pluvial floods have occurred can be seriously affected.
Flooding can cause severe damage to properties, but there are many ways to prevent it. Several essential ways to protect properties from flooding are available here. As basements are highly prone to flooding, here are tips to keep basements safe from flooding. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.