Canada’s Changing Climate Report and How Weather Affects Property
How Does Canada’s Climate Change Affect Your Property?
How Can You Prepare Your Property for Canada’s Changing Climate?
Canada’s Changing Climate Report warns that Canadians need to take climate change into account. From buying property, planning vacations, and making other decisions about their lives and livelihoods, the future climate needs to be considered. However, experts say there are things homeowners and business owners can do now to make their properties more adaptive:
- Develop or update your “home emergency plan” to reflect the threat of more frequent and severe flooding, which is one of many possible impacts of climate change.
- Consider installing a solar panel system so you can be self-sufficient during power outages.
- Assess the location of your home or property—is it on higher ground? Is it near a stream or other body of water where flooding may be a concern? Is it near a forest, where the risk of fire may increase due to drought?
- Consider your future needs—do you want to grow crops or raise animals for food? Consider all the possible effects of climate change on your land.
- Familiarize yourself with natural hazards and risks in your area and make sure you know how to respond.