Basement flooding is a common issue that can arise both due to natural phenomena (storms) and plumbing or appliance problems. Even though all basements are prone to flooding, learning why basements flood can help property owners avoid such disasters. Below are several well-known causes of basement flooding:
- The house was built in an unsuitable location. If the home’s lot grading is not properly designed, surface drainage will be directed towards the home, resulting in basement flooding. In this case, property owners can consider reshaping the yard, so that rain or storm water flows away from the property’s foundation.
- The walls and floor are not properly sealed. During the construction of a house or property, or when remodeling, the walls and floor of the basement must be waterproofed with a sealant to avoid water leakage and flooding. Maintaining the basement’s walls and floors regularly and sealing cracks or openings are key to flooding prevention.
- The gutter system is clogged. The gutters and downspouts may be blocked by debris and overflow with water during heavy rainfall. The excess water will seep through the soil near the property’s foundation, inundating the basement. This is why it is important to clean and inspect the gutter system regularly (at least once a year) to ensure proper drainage.
- A sewer backup has occurred. Sometimes, the sewer system can become overwhelmed with wastewater or storm water, causing water to back up into the property through toilets, sinks or floor drains. Backwater valves can help stop backflows on the sanitary sewer line. More information about black water damage is available in this article.
- The sump pump has failed. Although sump pumps are designed to keep the basement safeguarded from water, property owners should inspect, clean, and test them regularly to reduce the chance of a malfunction happening and avoid basement flooding.
In case the basement has flooded, it needs to be dried as soon as possible. To accomplish this, calling a professional restoration company is strongly recommended. These tips can help property owners learn how to deal with a flooded basement efficiently. More tips on how to prevent basement flooding are available here. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!