Halloween is both a fun and spooky time of the year. However, the real spook is when a fire starts accidentally due to negligence or other causes. Safety should be the number one priority when decorating a home or dressing up for Halloween. Here are crucial fire safety precautions to follow on Halloween:
- When choosing a costume, long trailing fabric should be avoided. Those who are making their own costume should choose material that’s more resistant to heat or flame.
- Children should wear only masks with eye holes that are large enough so they can see out. They should carry flashlights or glow sticks for lighting as part of their costume.
- Kids must be taught to stay away from open flames. Parents should practice the “stop, drop and roll” technique with them.
- Flammable decorations like dried flowers and crepe paper should be kept well away from open flames and heat sources, such as light bulbs and heaters.
- Likewise, heat sources such as candles and jack-o-lanterns must be kept away from curtains, decorations and other combustibles.
- It’s much safer to use a flashlight or battery-operated candles in jack-o-lanterns instead of real candles.
- Real candles must be used with extreme caution. Kids must be watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, a long match or a utility lighter should be used.
- Exits should be kept clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes. Obstacles should be removed from lawns, steps and porches when expecting trick-or-treaters.
- When decorating walkways and yards, it’s a lot safer to use battery-operated candles as alternatives to wax candles or torch lights. Trick-or-treaters who may brush against open flames could have their costume lit.
- Indoors or outside, only lights that have been tested for safety must be used.
- Homeowners should check each set of lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
Lastly, don’t forget to have a fire escape plan in place. Check out additional fire safety tips for the holidays and have a safe and happy Halloween! The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.