Proper air circulation in a home raises its comfort level substantially and provides a healthier indoor environment. Any form of ventilation, whether it’s opening a window or turning on the ceiling fans, reduces indoor pollutants and maintains the desired levels of humidity and temperature. Below are a few ideas for proper home ventilation:
- Windows should be opened in the bathroom when using the shower, in the kitchen when cooking, and in rooms where clothes are hanging out to dry. The doors should be kept closed in these areas to prevent air from escaping. During summer, it’s a good idea to open the windows in the mornings and evenings.
- When not cooking or using the shower, internal doors should be kept open. This allows for airborne particles to circulate freely, maintaining the same level or air quality in the home. In addition, the doors to closets or wardrobes should be kept shut to prevent air from being trapped in a confined space.
- Using ceiling fans (clockwise or counter clockwise) helps reduce central heating consumption. A counter clockwise direction in the summer will provide a cold breeze in the room. A clockwise direction in the winter will blow the warm air from the ceiling downward.
- HVAC air filters ought to be changed regularly. Air filters prevent pollutants and debris from entering HVAC systems. Depending on the type of air filter and how often the HVAC system is used, the air filters should be changed once per month or less frequently.
- Bathrooms, kitchens and clothes dryers must be vented directly outdoors, to prevent water damage, mould and other problems. The vents should not blowing air in enclosed spaces, such as the attic or crawlspace.
- Natural ventilation around the home can be considered:
- Planting grass and plants, which absorb less heat, on the home’s surroundings.
- Installing structures such as a pool or fountain in the garden / yard to cool off the air before it enters the home.
- Creating earth mounds in the yard to increase air circulation.
- Property owners who are planning to remodel their home can consider installing high windows, air deflectors (overhangs), clerestories and transitional spaces like balconies or courts.
More information on how to keep indoor air fresh are available here and tips to remove house odours can be found in this article. PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.