When a home fire occurs, everyone in the household is in danger, including pets. Moreover, a large number of fires in Canada are started by pets, so it’s important to know how to prevent them from starting fires, as well as how to protect them from fires. Here are essential tips on keeping pets safe from fire:
Preventing Pets from Starting a Fire
- Stove Knobs – A stove or cook top is the most common cause of fires started by pets. If the dog is tall enough to counter surf, the stove knobs should be removed or protected.
- Open Flames – Pets such as dogs are naturally curious and might be drawn to open flames from candles, cooking appliances, and even fireplaces. By investigating an open flame, they might hurt themselves or start a fire. Open flames in rooms where pets are allowed should be extinguished.
- Flameless Candles – Some pets can easily knock down candles when agitated or running, so it’s a good idea to replace natural candles with flameless ones. These types of candles use a light bulb that are much less likely to be a fire hazard. Pets should be supervised when real candles are used.
- Fireplaces – Even if there is a mesh metal screen in front of the fireplace, a small spark or coal can get through it and land on the carpet or the pet’s hair. Pets shouldn’t be allowed to stay in front of the fireplace. For increased safety, the wood-burning fireplace should be upgraded to an enclosed gas fireplace.
Keeping Pets Safe in Case of a Fire
- Families should include their pets in their fire escape plan and practice escape routes with them. Pet doors should be provided to allow pets to escape a fire quickly. If a pet has to be confined, he/she should be kept in a room or area near an entry.
- Dogs must wear a collar and should be kept near entrances when there’s nobody at home. Leashes should be kept at the ready in case firefighters need to rescue the dog.
- A static cling with the number of pets inside the house should be attached to a front window. This information helps firefighters locate pets faster.
- If they keep livestock as pets outside the home, homeowners should clear the brush, bushes, or other vegetation that might catch fire around the housing and pens where the animals live.
More emergency preparedness tips for pets can be found in this article. Pets are also susceptible to health risks due to mould exposure – tips to keep pets safe from mould can be found here. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.