The mould group contains over 100,000 species and all of them can be harmful. Everyone reacts differently to mould exposure, and some individuals are more resilient to mould than others. However, frequent exposure to mould may endanger anyone’s health in the long run, potentially causing over 30 health problems, including allergies, asthma, and other respiratory illnesses.

Allergic Reactions

While mould itself is not poisonous or toxic, some moulds produce mycotoxins. These are toxic substances that can cause various health problems, such as skin rashes, and even cancer in extreme cases if exposed long enough to the toxins.

Allergic reactions are a common result of exposure to mould, some people being more sensitive than others. The time and nature of the exposure also play a role in the gravity of the symptoms. Signs of experiencing a mould allergy include eye irritation, stuffy nose, coughing and wheezing, throat irritation, and skin irritation.

Asthma Attacks

High levels of airborne mould spores can also trigger asthma attacks in people with the condition. Symptoms of an asthma attack include chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing, and wheezing. Mould exposure can also lead to the development of asthma in some children, especially those who are genetically susceptible to asthma.

Other Health Problems

Mould exposure can also cause chronic sinus infections. Even if the exposure to mould wasn’t the main cause of the infection, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should avoid any contact with mould to prevent further problems.

In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, results show that mould in homes is linked to depression. There’s something very ugly about mould, indeed.

Those with compromised immune systems, like people with HIV, AIDS or people doing chemotherapy for cancer, are also more susceptible to mould-related illnesses.

Effects of Mould on Pets

Pets can be affected by mould in mostly the same way we are. When exposed to mould, pets can show symptoms like difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing, nose bleeding, pulmonary hemorrhage, excessive scratching and licking, lethargy, runny nose, and allergic reactions.

If pets ingest mouldy food products, they can be affected by mycotoxins. Pets that eat this poisoned food may experience muscle spasms or body tremors. Pet owners should always check the food they give to their pets and throw away any mouldy foods in the home.

Taking Precautions to Prevent Mould

Anyone can be negatively affected by mould, even healthy young adults. To avoid health issues caused by mould in homes, water damage problems must be fixed immediately the indoor humidity should be kept at a safe level.

The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.