The roof of a property should be regularly maintained to prolong its life and ensure water doesn’t leak through. A thorough roof inspection should be scheduled twice a year – once in late spring, and once during the fall. Here are key roof maintenance tasks to do this fall:
- Pruning the trees – Dead tree limbs can fall on the roof and cause damage, especially when it’s raining or snowing. Trees that are leaning towards the house could also fall on its roof, or allow squirrels and raccoons to pay the roof a visit. Twigs, leaves, and other debris can cause rotting, gutter blockage, termite invasion, and roof damage. To avoid these problems, the overhanging branches should be removed. Ensuring that trees aren’t leaning towards the home is also important.
- Cleaning the gutters – One of the best ways to prepare for winter is cleaning the gutters and ensuring they’re well-anchored. Doing so allows rainwater and thawed snow to flow properly off the roofline, avoiding leaks and water damage to the home. Thus, leaves and other debris should be removed from the gutters regularly throughout the fall. In addition to this, installing gutter guards can ward off any debris that would invade the gutters.
- Inspecting the roof for damage:
- The roof flashings should be checked – these cover gaps near vents and chimneys and can be dislocated during a storm. Faulty flashing pieces must be replaced.
- If the roof is made of asphalt, it’s best to replace the shingles that have bare spots, are warping, or are curling at the edges.
- If the roof is made of wooden shake, homeowners should check for signs of warping. The roofing material should be replaced if at least 25 percent of the wood shingles are damaged.
- In the case of a metal roof, signs of damage include pitting, corrosion or gapping seams. These issues can lead to leaks or underlay damage.
- A professional roof inspector should be hired for these tasks. Besides, the roof might need adjustment and repairs.
All these roof maintenance tasks must be done as soon as possible. Waiting another winter could put the roof and the home at risk for water damage. Unfortunately, roof leaks can happen even if the roof is kept in good repair; here are tips to handle roof leaks. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.