Before winter begins, it’s important to make sure our roofs are in good condition. Roofs must be kept clean and well-maintained to prevent potential leaks and damage to the home. Here’s how to get a roof ready for winter weather:
1. Clearing off debris from the roof – Twigs, leaves, dirt or pine needles on a roof can damage its shingles or membrane, allowing water to infiltrate the house. Additionally, debris can cause mould or fungus to grow on the roof, which causes further deterioration.
2. Checking for roof damage – Any type of roof deterioration can lead to expensive water and mould damage. The roof should be checked for missing or cracked shingles, as well as for damaged flashing around the chimneys, skylights and vent stacks. The roof edge should also be inspected for damage and weaknesses from both the ground and the roof.
3. Cleaning the gutters and downspouts – Debris that’s trapped in the gutters and downspouts can prevent water from freely passing. If the gutters and downspouts are clogged, excess water may cause damage to the roof, siding and landscaping. In addition, the gutters must not be loose or saggy.
4. Trimming tree branches – Before it starts to snow, any branches that are hanging over the roof should be pruned. This task is necessary to prevent loose branches from falling on the roof when they are weighed down by snow.
5. Checking the attic insulation – If the insulation in the attic is wet or damaged, it may lead to mould growth and increased heating costs in the winter. Moreover, having proper insulation in the attic prevents the formation of ice dams on the roof. If insulation needs to be replaced, what should be repaired first is the damaged roof area that causes water to leak inside the attic.
Additionally, a contractor can be hired to check if the roof is in the right condition to sustain the weight of heavy snowfall. When snow accumulates on a roof, removing it is imperative. Here are tips to remove snow from roofs. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.