Mould can grow quickly in a home after a water-related disaster, or even due to small cracks in the roof or walls. Since mould is linked to various health and structural problems, removing it immediately should be a priority. Here are several important reasons to remove mould in homes as fast as possible:
- There are over 100,000 species of mould, and all of them can be harmful. Even nontoxic mould can pose health risks; in fact, they are most likely to affect people, since they are more common.
- Exposure to mould can cause over 30 health problems, including asthma and other respiratory illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease. Mould can also make a respiratory illness worse through repeated exposure.
- Sensitive individuals can develop allergic reactions by touching or inhaling mould spores. Symptoms include headaches, sneezing, skin rash, runny nose and red eyes.
- In some cases, exposure to mould can cause chronic sinus infections. Even if the exposure to mould wasn’t the primary cause for the infection, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should avoid any contact with mould to prevent further complications.
- In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, the results have shown that mould in homes is linked to depression.
- Mould can grow on any organic surface: wood, sheet rock, cloth, dry wall, carpets, etc. Thus, almost all surfaces in a home are under the risk of mould growth if there is a moisture source present.
- A spot of mould will grow larger and larger (if the water problem isn’t fixed) until professional mould restoration services are required. Mould in homes should be removed immediately to reduce or prevent widespread damage.
- Depending on the degree of the infestation, the materials on which mould grows may be restored. However, in most cases, softer materials infected with mould, such as carpets and upholstery, will have to be replaced completely.
- Mould on surfaces can also spread to the heating and ventilation system a home. In this case, professional assistance is required. If the mould can’t be removed thoroughly, the ventilation system may have to be replaced.
- Painting on a mould-infested surface is not a good idea, as the mould will eat the paint in just a few months. Mould has to be removed completely before applying a new coat of paint, preferably a mould-resistant type.
This article provides important guidelines on how to prevent mould growth in homes. Essential tips for cleaning mould are available here. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.