Flooding can occur at any time, whether it’s because of a powerful storm or a burst pipe in the home. Even though no property can be completely safeguarded from flooding, there are some ways to reduce the chances of flooding and diminish its impact:
- Leaky roofs and foundation cracks should be repaired as fast as possible to prevent water damage and mould growth. For extra protection against water, a rubber roof underlayment may be installed. Foundation cracks can be closed with hydraulic cement or masonry caulk that expands and completely fills gaps.
- Property owners should learn the flood level of their property at this website. This tool is designed for assessing the flood risk of an area, allowing property owners and families to take the necessary actions based on the information.
- The electrical and climate system of the property should be protected. To achieve this, the wiring, sockets, circuit breakers and switches should be raised at least 0.3 meters above the home’s flood level.
- The furnace, water heater, air-conditioning units, generators, fuel tanks or other electrical equipment should also be elevated.
- Interior and exterior backflow valves (on all pipes entering the house) should be installed to automatically prevent sewage from backing up into the property.
- The ground around the property should slope away from the building’s foundation. If water does not drain easily on the street after rain, property owners should consult their environmental services department to come up with a solution.
- A battery-operated sump pump should be installed in the basement to quickly drain the floodwater when necessary.
- Other solutions to consider:
- Applying sealing materials to exterior walls
- Raising the home columns or piers above the flood level
- Installing foundation vents that allow water to flow through the building
Storms are common during spring and can lead to severe flooding. This guide provides important information on how to prepare for spring storms and flooding. Tips on how to act during and after spring storms are available here. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!
May 12, 2016