Water damage can affect any area of a property, including crawl spaces — the area under a house that’s between the foundation walls. Dampness in crawl spaces can occur when the vapor barriers, which sit above dirt floors to prevent moisture, have been damaged or were installed incorrectly, to begin with. That’s when the crawl space requires water removal services.
Also, the insulation laid between the floor joists above the crawl space, and the HVAC system ducting, plumbing pipes and electrical wiring, can trap moisture and facilitate mould growth.
At PuroClean, we provide crawl space water removal to help prevent further damage to the home and avoid mould growth. Restoring crawl spaces that were affected by water poses several difficulties that are best left to a qualified restoration professional. Here are some of the specifics:
Drying out crawl spaces
1. The height of a crawl space can be as little as 30 centimeters, resulting in limited accessibility.
2. All people entering these spaces must wear protective gear to avoid possible health hazards.
3. It’s not unusual for animals to take refuge in crawl spaces; therefore, before drying and dehumidifying, the technicians must ensure the area is free of such occupants. Also, all organic debris on the floor, any wet insulation, and any pooled water must be removed.
4. Drying crawl spaces involves air movement. However, this can allow odours to permeate into the home. Thus, it’s necessary to place air movers at the crawl space openings and have them blow the air towards the outside.
5. For dehumidification purposes, a desiccant dehumidifier is recommended. By producing air with a moisture content of about 10%, it lowers the temperature and humidity levels. Once the air gets dryer and flows appropriately, the moisture of the area is evaporated efficiently and safely.
For crawl space water removal services, contact PuroClean!
When occupants notice moisture in the crawl space of their property, the PuroClean team can help to accomplish the difficult task of drying crawl spaces. Our crews are ready to come to the rescue of residential or commercial buildings, 24/7. We’re using state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to mitigate the water damage and prevent further complications.