While Christmas tree fires are not very common, these types of fires can be devastating. Most reported Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical malfunctions and heat sources. That’s something to keep in mind. Here are more tips to prevent Christmas tree fires in homes and properties.
- Real Christmas tree should be cut 5 centimetres from the base of the trunk before being placed in the stand. This allows the tree to better absorb water.
- The tree should be watered daily to ensure it stays hydrated. If the tree is about 1.8 metres tall, it should receive about four litres of water every day.
- The tree must be kept at a safe distance away from any heat source, such as radiators, fireplaces, lights or candles.
- Christmas trees should not be placed near exits or footpaths, so it won’t get knocked over.
- Only lights that are rated for indoor use should be used to decorate the tree. Also, lights should bear the label of an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters’ Laboratory (UL).
- Before using lights, they should be checked for frayed wires, broken bulbs and cords, cracked sockets or loose bulb connections.
- It’s important to avoid overloading electrical outlets or extension cords. Lights should be plugged into different circuits around the home.
- Christmas lights must be turned off when going to bed or leaving home.
- Burning candles should not be used as tree decoration. Using battery-operated, flameless LED candles is much safer.
- After Christmas, or when the real tree dries out and starts dropping needles, it should be discarded. Dry trees are a fire hazard, so they shouldn’t be kept in the home or garage.
- For increased Christmas tree safety, it’s worth considering a Christmas tree safety system. These devices send a signal when there is low water in the tree stand or if a fire starts. When using such a device, the home must have smoke alarms installed.
Being vigilant of fire hazards in a home is the best way to ensure a safe and joyful holiday season. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.