The PuroClean Blog

Fire Safety Tips for Electric Heaters

Portable electric heaters typically consume large amounts of electricity to warm up a single room. Consequently, electric heaters could potentially start a fire and must be operated with caution. Here are several of the most important safety tips to know when using electric heaters:

  • The heater, cord, plug and outlet should be checked for damage and repaired or replaced, if necessary, before using the heater.
  • Power strips or extension cords should never be used to supply power to heaters. Plugging the device directly into wall outlets is the safest way to go. No other electrical device should be plugged into the same outlet, to reduce the risk of overheating.
  • Electric heater owners should check periodically that the cord, plug and wall outlet are not hot. If they are hot, the heater should be unplugged immediately and checked by a professional.
  • Cords should not be run under carpets or rugs, as this can damage the cords and cause a fire.
  • Heaters must be supervised while operating and unplugged when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Heaters must be kept at least 1 meter away from flammable materials like paper, trash bin, furniture, drapes or carpet.
  • Electric heater owners should keep heaters on a stable, horizontal surface (preferably on the floor) where they can’t be knocked over easily.
  • Heaters should never be operated in high-humidity areas, such as the bathroom or kitchen, to prevent damage to the heater.
  • Electric heater owners should never touch the heater with wet hands, to reduce the risk of electrical shock.
  • Children and pets must always be supervised when a heater is running and kept at a safe distance from the device.

Every other heating device or appliance has the potential to start a fire if not used properly. Tips for using heating equipment safely can be found here and fireplace safety information is available here. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!