Whether celebrating New Year’s Eve out or not, we need to remember that many accidents can occur that night due to alcohol consumption, fireworks, and other causes. Below are safety guidelines to stay safe throughout the New Year’s Eve festivities:
- Those who are celebrating out must make sure to have a safe way to get back home. This can be arranged by designating a driver who will stay sober, or using a cab or ride sharing service. Alternatively, those who will be drinking could spend the night at the host’s house or a nearby hotel.
- Driving between 8 PM and 2 AM on New Year’s Eve should be avoided, even when rested and sober. These are the most dangerous hours to be on the road. For tips on driving in snowy conditions, here’s how to prepare for winter driving.
- No one should go alone at a public party. It’s important to be aware of the surroundings and have the phone fully charged, as well as to stay in constant contact with friends or family, before going to the party.
- Those who are going to a party should bring only essentials, such as money, credit cards or driver’s license. Other valuables should be left at home.
- When drinking, it’s a good idea to alternate alcohol with water to stay hydrated, and to eat high-carbohydrate and high-fat foods to slow the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.
- Champagne bottles must be opened with caution. The champagne should be chilled to at least seven degrees Celsius to make the cork less likely to pop out unexpectedly. The bottle should be aimed at a 45-degree angle and away from people.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend public displays conducted by trained professionals. Fireworks must be used with extreme caution.
- Pets can easily get scared of loud noises such as those at parties or made by fireworks. They should wear IDs or a microchip and be kept inside, in a comfortable room. All fences and gates must be secure to prevent pets from running off.
Throwing a New Year’s Eve party at home is a big responsibility – here are tips for safely hosting a holiday party and fire safety tips for the holidays. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.