Pack-outs are services performed by restoration companies for property owners after water, fire or smoke damage. It involves removing and transporting damaged property to a secure location for processing and restoration.
The steps of a pack-out process are:
- After the initial inspection, the restoration professionals will inform the property owner whether or not an item can be restored. Most items can be brought to pre-loss condition. All contents will be inspected and any pre-existing damage will be documented before sending the items out to be restored. This documentation helps to estimate the losses and facilitates the filing of the insurance claim.
- If an item does not require packing out, it will be secured and protected while structural repairs are made to the property.
- In some cases, affected items are cleaned in place to prevent acidic residues from causing any further damage.
- Small items will be individually wrapped in paper, boxed, labeled and inventoried by the restoration professionals. This includes kitchen knives, spoons, pots and pans, dishes, storage containers, etc.
- Large items like upholstery and wooden furniture will be carefully inspected, often using high intensity light to detect all damages that existed before the disaster.
- The property owner will receive a copy of every inventory sheet with noted pre-existing damage, if any.
- When the transportation begins, items will be loaded and secured in a covered box truck using pads and the appropriate packing protocols.
- The restoration process is constantly monitored and the owner will be informed on the status of his/her claim before the items are ready to be sent back to the home or business.
During a pack-out, the professional restoration company has the obligation to process and return contents as quickly and conveniently as possible. PuroClean is ready to step in after a disaster involving fire, smoke or water.