Exposure to black mould can cause serious health issues in the long term. Children and pets are found to be more vulnerable to mould-related illnesses, and within this article, we will highlight what some of those symptoms look like.
This article offers you the following information:
- How mould affects children and pets
- What to do if children and pets exhibit symptoms of mould exposure
- How to prevent mould exposure from occurring
How Does Black Mould Affect Children?
When mould spores are inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin or eyes, a child’s health can be affected. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), indoor black mould exposure is linked to respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.
Black mould may also cause asthma in those susceptible to asthma development, particularly those who have a family history of the ailment.
What Are the Signs of Mould Exposure in Children?
Children who are allergic to mould may experience sneezing, runny noses, itchy eyes, wheezing, and coughing due to health sensitivity. Black mould exposure can cause irritant reactions, including skin rashes, eye rashes, or headaches in health-sensitive children.
Asthma is a respiratory disease in which the airways in the lungs become inflamed. Wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath are all examples of asthmatic symptoms of mould exposure.
What Kind of Doctor Should I Visit if Kids Have Been Exposed to Mould?
The CDC recommends that you first see a family or general health care practitioner, who will then refer you to a specialist if required.
The illness will determine the type of specialist required. Mould allergies are treated by allergists, mould infections are treated by infectious disease physicians, and lung diseases are addressed by pulmonary specialists.
How Does Black Mould Affect Pets?
Pets can be affected by black mould exposure like their human counterparts: inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption of mould spores. Symptoms of black mould exposure in pets may include sneezing, runny nose, cough, wheezing, difficulty breathing, pulmonary hemorrhage, and eye irritations.
Keep your pet away from mouldy areas within the home, and food that has been compromised, in order to avoid illness. If you think your pet has been exposed to black mould, take them to the vet as soon as possible. Learn more about the dangers of mould to pets.
Where Can Black Mould Grow in Homes?
Black mould thrives in warm, humid places such as basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. Make sure there are no water leaks that can cause water damage to your property to avoid mould growth.
Other mould prevention tips include keeping the humidity in your house between 40% and 50% and using fans and dehumidifiers. Here are more mould prevention recommendations.
What Should I Do if I Find Mould on My Property?
If you see mould in your home, the CDC recommends that you clean up the mould immediately and fix the moisture problem that caused the mould growth.
To learn more about dealing with small-scale mould problems in your home, check out our tips to remove mould in the bathroom, basement, and kitchen.
However, if the mould problem is significant in scale (the affected area is larger than 10 square feet), hiring professionals to remove the mould is essential.
For Mould Removal in Homes and Businesses, Contact PuroClean Remediation Experts!
The trained specialists at PuroClean can get rid of the mould quickly and efficiently using specialized equipment and techniques. We have the experience to safely and effectively remove mould from all types of properties.
We offer restoration services that will return your property to its pre-mould condition. If you think you have a mould problem, don’t hesitate to contact PuroClean today!